In 1955, the Hampton Fire Company selected one of its members, Gilbert Riddle, to organize an emergency squad. With the backing of the Fire Company, the present squad became operational in 1956. The Fire Company purchased the first ambulance, which was housed in the firehouse until the squad's permanent facilities were completed. On August 6, 1966 the dedication of the permanent home of the Emergency Squad took place.
The Hampton Emergency Squad incorporated itself in 1976, becoming independent of the Fire Company, however its name did not change. In January of 1978, the squad established an auxiliary membership. This membership is made up of people who wish to help the Hampton Fire Company Emergency Squad in its endeavors to provide the finest in first aid protection.
A new GMC crash truck was purchased in 1978. It was specially equipped with four-wheel drive and quartz spotlights for better lighting during accidents and fires. The crash truck now operated by the fire co is still in service today. The old 1968 Cadillac ambulance was replaced in 1982 by a Braun ambulance, and was later used as a service vehicle. A Ford Horton ambulance was purchased in 1987 and has since been replaced by a 2001 Ford Horton Ambulance, in 1992 another Ford Horton ambulance was added. In 2004 a Ford Expedition first responder vehicle was purchased. The squad now operates a total of 2 ambulances and a first responder vehicle.
An additional bay was added to the building in 1979 to provide storage of emergency vehicles and equipment. The Hampton Emergency Squad dedicated their building to the memory of Charles Tampier and William Deemer in 1982 in recognition of their exceptional service to our squad and community. Construction of the second story addition began in September 1985. After many long hours of planning sessions, the building committee and the community saw the fruits of their labor come to completion in 1986.
The members of the Hampton Emergency Squad are committed to providing the latest in pre-hospital emergency medical care to the community. All members are certified Emergency Medical Technicians who continuously train and refresh their skills through drills and classroom experience. All members are able to provide defibrillation to a patient in cardiac arrest, increasing the probability of survival dramatically.